Tuesday 10 September 2013

Let this not be the last dance

Oslo. John Dee. 07/09/13. Xelabration Festival.
TraKKtor, NOISUF-X, Orange Sector, Aesthetic Perfection. Covenant. 

Just after midnight. The lights turn off. The crowd awaits. Sweet agony. The lights of the scene turn on. The sound of the synth fills the space.

~We're leaving Babylon~

Covenant. The band.

~We make ritual noise
we weave the fabric of dreams
We build cities of sound
We feel the rhythm of time~

Everything seems so right. The time, the place, the fans, the feeling, the band.

~We are the prime movers~

I've always loved the small concert venues. The smaller the better. Then the relationship between the band and the fans is more intimate. Pure. More honest.

~Too late to escape, too late to regret, no time to hide, no time to forget~


~The price for a life in sin is beyond repair and mending~

The feeling of being in a concert can't be described easily. You have to be there. A part of it. To live the moment. To feel your heart beating in the rhythm of music.

~White light solid to my eye, deep down inside I'm alive~

To sing. To smile. To feel your body getting to a higher level. To dance until you don't feel your feet anymore. To look each other in the eyes. To touch.

~Ten thousand times ten thousand ways to catch the beauty and the grace~


~I am the rhythm and the noise,  I am the voices in your blood, I am the logic and the lust~

Eskil Simonsson. The voice. The performer. The man.
He sings and makes your spine tingle. His voice clear and enchanting can travel you to the most beautiful unknown places. A voice to trust. You forget everything. Nothing matters as long as he's there singing. You could listen to him forever.

~I watch with gypsy eyes secrets never told, stolen years of yearning turn their tears to dust~

The synths. They are there. Dominant. Skillful fingers touch the keys and transform the sounds into melodies. They keep the rhythm.

~We work so hard to be wise and dream of light to be pure~


~I want more to burn, I want more to break, so give me the speed I need~

The rhythm penetrates the bodies and fills the space. The hearts are beating faster. Dance.

~We dance to the sound of sirens. We are the heroes of self-deception~

It's a pure oldschool party. Full of energy. Full of passion. Hundreds voices become one. They sing along. It's a total experience. Almost mystagogic. If you haven't been there you can't feel it. If you have been there you can't forget it.

~I see the stalker in your face, the secrets on your skin, I keep the wisdom that you need, the password that you want, I feel the stalker in your mind, the fire in your veins~

Covenant sets the dance floor on fire. "Last dance". A killer song. One of these songs that brings tears to your eyes.

~The floor collapses as we dance, we are falling apart.This is the world on fire. This is the end of it all.~


~Tonight we light the fires we call our ships to port. Tonight we walk on water tomorrow we'll be gone~

You know it will soon end. But you don't want to. It's fatal to happen so the only thing you can do is to try to live every single second while it happens. To keep the moment in your heart. To cherish it.

~If this was a shelter I would endure in a world with faceless strangers, I would have a place to feel secure from the ever present dangers~

Can't feel my feet anymore, but I keep dancing. Makes it hard to breathe. The heat of a  body which suffocates under a latex dress. I can feel the sweat dripping down my back, all the way down my legs.

~Fire in my footsteps, peace in my mind. Broken rhythms, broken bodies, broken minds, broken hearts~

It's not the first time I see Covenant live, but it was definitely the best. The most complete. The most intense.
That unique relationship between the fans and the band that fills the space and the hearts with so much positive energy. The pulse..

~And eternity is in your hidden eyes. Take my broken wings teach me to fly again. I stand alone. We stand alone~

Just before the end. Feels like it's just the beginning. Or at least you wish it was. But time shows no mercy. The best things in life last the shortest time. The lesson is learned, but it's still hard to accept reality.

~ Time is like a bullet from behind I run for cover just like you~

The curtain falls. The sound stops. The band leaves. The lights turn off. I stand still for some moments and then I start walking. The body moves, but not the mind. The mind stays there. Until next time.

~Dead stars still burn, dead still stars burn~

I had the time of my life. Thanks to Covenant for making it so special and real. I'm waiting for the next time. The next journey.


When: 07/09/13
Where: Oslo, John Dee
Who: Covenant

Playlist:
Leaving Babylon
Ritual Noise
Prime Movers
Replicant
Voices
Edge Of Dawn
The Beauty And The Grace
I Am
20hz
Figurehead
Speed
Theremin
Stalker
Last Dance
Call The Ships To Port
Shelter
Lightbringer
We stand alone
Bullet
Dead Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment